Search This Blog

Monday, September 7, 2020

Boyfriend Material by Alexis Hall

 48994908. sy475

2*


Oh, this was really disappointing.


Didn’t like the deep insecurities of the two main characters, even if it’s what drove the story.

Didn’t care for any of the parents except perhaps Luc’s mom, although she seemed very cavalier concerning his feelings.
Didn’t like how “smart” (precious) so much of the conversation was. Perhaps it’s because it’s British, or maybe it’s just pretentious. Either way, I needed a dictionary for so much of it.
I especially didn’t like all the gay-bashing. The only people who weren’t homophobic were his group of friends. I also found it problematic that Oliver had no gay friends.
I wish it were more steamy. After enduring the boredom of the slow-build romance, the least Hall could have done was reward readers with some sexy talk and action.
Finally, what was the deal with Luc’s co-workers’ cluelessness, especially Alex’s nitwittedness, which supports the argument that British nobility suffer from centuries of inbreeding?


Overall, this was a big fail for me. I only reason I didn’t give it 1* was because I finished it

No comments:

Post a Comment